The Lindens, 2401 Kalorama Rd.
Photo courtesy of DC SHPO
As early as the mid-17th century, the boundaries of the Sheridan-Kalorama Historic District as it is known today were being formed by property lines of the early land grants. During the 40-year period between 1663 and 1703, 18 landowners acquired by grant or sale all of the land which eventually became the District of Columbia. Among the earliest purchases was the land which includes the present Sheridan-Kalorama neighborhood.
Known in the 19th century for its idyllic landscape, the area underwent rapid development in the early 20th century as the city of Washington’s growing population moved away from the established urban center in its quest for the suburban ideal. Today, Sheridan-Kalorama is comprised of a network of cohesive town and suburb-like streetscapes. The streets are lined with a variety of housing forms, each of which contributes to a sophisticated residential image that is unique within DC.
This distinctive area, a verdant residential enclave nestled in the midst of the city, contains buildings erected between 1890 and 1988. Individually, the neighborhood’s buildings are among the most distinguished residential examples of late 19th and early 20th century revival style architecture in the United States. Major streets and minor roads alike hold naturally significant buildings by some of the country’s most celebrated architects juxtaposed with the urbane work of accomplished urban designers.
The earliest urban architecture in this area dates to the Victorian Period. The Queen Anne and Romanesque Revival once dominated the neighborhood. Also, examples of the English Arts and Crafts can be found as can the English Gothic Revival. In the 20th century, more disciplined interpretations derived from historic precedents dominated the architecture. The Colonial Revival style was a major movement in this period as was Beaux Arts Classicism and Italian and French Classicism. Some of the most distinguished buildings are listed below:
Codman-Davis House (The Louise Home) NR
2145 Decatur Place
1906-7 Ogden Codman
The house designed in an English Georgian stylistic manner is U-shaped and set back from the street. Just west of the house connecting S and 22nd Sts. is a neighborhood landmark, the Spanish Steps. The steps and their lion-head fountain were designed and constructed by the Municipal Office of Public Works in 1911.
Woodrow Wilson House NHL
2340 S Street
1915 Waddy Wood
Operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation it is open to the public Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. It is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day.
This house was occupied by President and Mrs. Wilson subsequent to his presidency. It is a Georgian Revival House with Adamesque interiors.
The Textile Museum (Tucker and Myers House) NR
Tucker House 2320 S Street, 1908 Wood, Donn and Deming
Myers House 2310 S Street, 1912 John Russell Pope
The Textile Museum is open to the public Monday through Saturday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, and Sundays from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
An eclectic mixture of Georgian Revival to Beaux Arts styles.
The Lindens (King Hooper House) NR
2401 Kalorama Road
The Lindens was erected in Danvers, Massachusetts in 1754 by an unknown architect. It was moved to Kalorama in 1935 and rebuilt under the guidance of Walter Macomber.
Friend’s Meeting House NR
2111 Florida Avenue
1930 Walter Price
Fieldstone buildings similar to those in Pennsylvania characterize this church.
St. Margaret’s Church
1820 Connecticut Avenue
1895;1900 James G. Hill; 1913 Arthur B. Heaton
Tiffany windows and exposed roof trusses on the interior contribute to the charm of this church.
Charles Evans Hughes House (Chancery of Burma) NHL
2223 R Street
1907 George Oakley Totten
Home of Charles Evans Hughes, 10th Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court Windsor Lodge (William E. Borah Apartment) NHL
2139-41 Wyoming Avenue
Apartment 21E was the residence of Idaho Senator William E. Borah, leading Republican progressive and a powerful force in promoting isolationist foreign policy during the 1920s.
2126 Connecticut Avenue
1909 Albert Beers
Dumbarton Bridge (Buffalo Bridge) NR
Q Street over Rock Creek Park
1914 Glenn Brown, architect; Alexander Proctor, sculptor
Roughly bounded by Connecticut Ave., NW and Florida Ave., NW on the east; P St., NW on the south; and Rock Creek Park on the west and north. All the buildings listed above are private and not open to the public unless noted. Metro stop: Dupont Circle.