The Christian Heurich House – Heurich Mansion -Washington DC


The Heurich Mansion
Photo courtesy of the DC SHPO

The Christian Heurich Mansion (Heurich House Museum) commonly known as the Brewmaster’s Castle, was built in 1892-1894 by German immigrant, Christian Heurich, as a private residence. Mr. Heurich was one of Washington’s wealthiest citizens and known philanthropists. Born in 1842, Christian Heurich became a brewer while still in Europe and arrived in the United States at the close of the Civil War. By 1873 he was the sole owner of the Christian Heurich Lager Beer Brewery, which later became the Christian Heurich Brewing Company.

The interior of the house, including most of the family furniture, has been carefully preserved and displayed much as it was when the Heurich’s lived there. Some of the most interesting interior elements in the house include: the curving staircase made of brass, marble, and onyx; the elaborately carved wooden fireplaces in nearly every room; the large quantities of gold leaf decoration; and the richly ornamented bathtubs and washbasins.

Detail of a column at the entrance of the Heurich Mansion
Photo courtesy of the DC SHPO

On April 19, 1955, Mrs. Heurich deeded the house to the Historical Society of Washington, DC, which received the building shortly after her death on January 24, 1956. The Historical Society occupied the house until 2003 when the newly formed Heurich House Foundation bought it and continues to operate it as a museum.

The Christian Heurich House is located at 1307 New Hampshire Ave., NW. Walk-in tours are available Thursday through Saturday at 11:30am and 1:00pm, with an additional tour on Saturday at 2:30pm. There is a suggested donation. The museum is also available for private tours and special event rentals. Call 202-429-1894 for further information or visit the website. Metro stop: Dupont Circle.